Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Scholar and Her Satchel

Tieranee

Be not simply good - be good for something.

-Thoreau










If with light head erect I sing,



Though all the Muses lend their force,



From my poor love of anything,



The verse is weak and shallow as its source.












But if with bended neck I grope
Listening behind me for my wit,
With faith superior to hope, More anxious to keep back than forward it;






Such is the Muse, the heavenly maid,

The star that guides our mortal course,

Which shows where life's true kernel's laid,

Its wheat's fine flour, and its undying force.














Be but thy inspiration given,

No matter through what danger sought,

I'll fathom hell or climb to heaven,

And yet esteem that cheap which love has bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment