Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a more colorful world for a blind man

John Bramblitt is an amazing painter – and he is blind!

At around the age of 22, Bramblitt lost his vision to what they suspect is due to a violent history of seizures. Although he graduated with an English degree, before he lost his vision Bramblitt always had an underlying passion for drawing and painting. The most amazing part - It wasn’t until after he lost his vision that he started to paint. He uses textures to create his pieces, and has gotten quite good. He can identify the difference of his colors by the feel and viscosity of the paint. He outlines the images he wishes to paint with a textured paint, lets it dry, and feels his way around the painting to fill in the color. The work is exceptional period, and the fact that he is blind makes him a bit of a wonder.

It has been quiet the revelation – discovering a person that has every reason in the world to give up on his passions, but instead utilizes that enthusiasm and hones in on and channels his frustration to create beautiful art work. It makes my excuses somewhat flimsy, and is a humbling realization.

The coolest part? He lives in Dallas! He has shows quiet frequently, so if you get a chance to take a slight trip down I30, go check him out.

Also, I urge everyone to check out this amazing video that goes deeper into who he is, and what he can do.

My fav quotes in the article:

“It wasn’t until I lost my sight that I became brave enough to fail.”
(*gasp* ugh, I love this one. It is amazing what we require to believe we are "strong enough".)

"Life for me now is way more colorful than it ever was.”
(We HAVE our vision, can we all say we look at life like he does?)



No comments:

Post a Comment